Tuesday 22 April 2008

Brussels Sprouts- taken away from their momma way too soon

Another from the cabbage family, in this case, the from the kiddy table. Speaking of kiddy tables, when I was a child, I hated this vegetable with almost the same passion that I hated beets. When I grew into my adult taste buds, I still hated beets, but I love me some Brussels.

When we'd have Brussels Sprouts, my dad would say how cruel we were for eating little baby cabbages. I would insist that we send them back to their momma, but we never would. This is the only food I did the old slip into the napkin trick. My mom caught onto this trick and would search the garbage to make sure no errant Brussels made it in there. I resorted to sticking them in the cellar. When my cache of petrified Brussels were found, it was not a happy day in our household, I kid you not. I didn't have to hide beets because they make me violently physically ill, so my mom learned to not sully my plate with them.

When I was just starting out in the adult world, I was a cashier at a large supermarket. It had just come to town, so we were inundated with a bunch of exotic new produce choices. Our old grocery store was a bit skimpy on the produce selection. Sure, there was always stuff in it, but it was usually what was in season and very basic vegetables and fruit. For example, people who were raised in larger towns were shocked to learn that for the most part, we couldn't get oranges during the summer or apples during the spring. And we definitely didn't get Brussels in their natural form. I was shocked the first time a customer brought a "Brussels tree" through the line. I guess I really believed they were baby cabbages.

Enough of my personal relationship with Brussels. They are on the Induction list in the "more carby than lettuce" section. So they can be eaten, but be careful with the portions. They are a winter vegetable (depending on your region). After their season is over, they are an excellent frozen food choice. If you haven't tried them recently, revisit them. They can be overcooked, which turns them bitter and slimy. Cooked properly and well seasoned, they are almost creamy, mild, and an excellent compliment to meat. My in-laws like them with gravy, but I prefer butter or cheese. In fact, they're on the menu tonight.

Just check out the vitamins in these little buggers according to the Nutritional Data website.

No comments: